The art and craft volunteer role plays an important part in helping Sydenham Garden to support people coping with mental illness to recover and re-establish themselves in the community. The volunteer supports this process through helping with weekly art based workshops.
Volunteer Role Description
To support weekly art and craft sessions for people living with significant illness. You will be volunteering as part of a team to support our co-workers in art-based activities such as drawing, painting, photography and book-making. Support is to be offered without giving interpretation of co-worker’s art work and you will be responsible for enabling and encouraging co-workers to produce their own art pieces rather than the volunteer producing art work themselves.
Please note that this role will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check, as you will be directly involved in working with vulnerable adults.
- Help to set up art and craft sessions and clear up after sessions
- Enable co-workers to complete arts-based tasks in order to reach their therapeutic goals.
- Support co-workers to reflect on previous goals and set new goals on a quarterly basis
- Support new co-workers in their first sessions, orientating them the work of the project, helping them to meet other people and find their way around the project.
- Talk directly to co-workers about their health and progress
- Participate in pre and post session briefings with session leader and other team members, giving feedback when sessions end
- Contribute to the delivery of Sydenham Garden’s organisational aims by participating in practical sessions
- Welcome visitors to the site and advising people seeking information about Sydenham Garden, including the opportunity to assist with visitors’ days, special events and other occasions on and off site
Skills and abilities required:
The basic role requirement is to have an interest in supporting people who have mental health issues in their recovery and development. You need to be able to communicate effectively and empathise with people who have mental health and physical disabilities.
Specifically, we are looking for people with the following abilities:
- We are looking for volunteers that reflect the diversity of Lewisham and encourage applications from people who identify as belonging to Black and minority ethnic groups.
- Good communication skills
- Sensitivity and awareness of others
- Be non-judgemental, open and accepting
- Ability to work reliably and as part of a team
- Be willing to listen and learn from your experiences.
- Experience of volunteering in a community organisation
- Gain knowledge and experience working with people experiencing mental health conditions
- Opportunities for training in areas relevant to the role
- Skills in motivating and empowering others
- Skills development in art-based activities
- Opportunity to meet new people
- Gain experience in assisting and facilitating creative workshop
We offer short and long term volunteer placements and ask for a commitment of one session a week (3 hours).
Sessions are currently held on Tuesday’s (am & pm) and Wednesday (pm only).
You will need to be available each week on one of the sessions below:
Tuesday: 9:30 – 12:30
Tuesday: 13:00 – 16:00
Wednesday: 13:00 – 16:00
Sydenham Garden, 28a Wynell Road, London SE23 2LW
How to Apply
Is this role for you? Complete our online Application and Equality & Diversity Monitoring form.
Or contact us if you have any questions:
Tel: 020 8291 1650 or mob. 07529 222 608 or email email@example.com