At Sydenham Garden, our Sow & Grow sessions aim to support people to live well with dementia. Our sessions are underpinned by CST, Cognitive Stimulation Therapy and we use gardening, cooking and craft activities, as well as providing plenty of opportunities for reminiscence, reflection and discussion.
We need volunteers to assist with the smooth running of these sessions.
Volunteer Role Description:
To support staff and other volunteers in running weekly Dementia groups working with participants who are living with Dementia.
- Enable participants to fill in a weekly diary with photos & description of activities
- Make and serve the participants with a hot drink and some fruit/biscuits
- Enable participants to take part fully in the day’s activity. This can include gardening, art and craft, wildlife spotting, walking, cooking, singing and other interesting and stimulating activities
- Help participants complete relevant monitoring paperwork.
- Be an enthusiastic & active part of the group, joining in lively discussions, reflections and reminiscence which arise in response to the activities.
You must complete a DBS check and Mindcare dementia specific training in the early stages of volunteering.
Specifically, we are looking for people with the following abilities:
We are looking for volunteers that reflect the diversity of Lewisham and encourage applications from people who identify as belonging to Black and minority ethnic groups.
- An interest in working with people with dementia
- Good listening and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team of volunteers and staff
- Flexibility and an ability to adapt to different tasks each week
- Punctual and reliable
- Patient, empathetic, sensitive and caring
- Enthusiastic and able to motivate others
- Experience of volunteering in a community organisation
- Dementia training
- A greater understanding of dementia and the impact on the individual
- Experience of using art, cooking, reminiscence and community gardening in a therapeutic way
- Extremely applicable experience in social care, psychology and mental health treatment
We offer short and long term volunteer placements and ask for a commitment of one session a week (3 hours).
Sessions run: Wednesday (am), Thursday (pm) and Friday (am)
You will need to be available each week on one of the sessions below:
Wednesday: 9:30 – 12:30
Thursday: 13:30 – 16:30
Wednesday: 9:30 – 12:30
Sydenham Garden, 28a Wynell Road, London SE23 2LW
How to Apply
Is this role for you? Complete our online Application and Equality & Diversity Monitoring Form.
Or contact us if you have any questions:
Tel: 020 8291 1650 or email email@example.com