About the Volunteer Role:
Do you want to give back to your community? Gain new skills and experiences? Meet people and support children to connect with nature and gain all the benefits of learning outdoors?
This volunteer role is an important part in helping support children from local schools to access our two sites (a nature reserve and a market garden) and enjoy great experiences getting hands on with wildlife and growing activities.
The basic role requirement is to have an interest in volunteering in the field of outdoor learning and/or environmental education. You will need to be able to support and empathise with children from all backgrounds and be enthusiastic about working with additional learning needs and occasional challenging behaviour.
This role will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check, as you will be directly involved in working with children on a regular basis.
- Working with and supporting our lead environmental education sessional worker to deliver fun, adventurous and hands on outdoor learning sessions with a wide variety of local school children.
- Volunteers help to set up sessions, get involved throughout the delivery time and participate in giving feedback when sessions end.
- To be an active part of the team, working with staff to support visiting children and school staff, welcoming them into the project, and orientating them to the site.
- Engaging openly with the children about their experiences and observations in nature.
- Supporting the session lead with creative planning for future activities and devising activities to suit different groups.
- You will be invited to attend one-to-one’s and staff/volunteer meetings as well as our wider activities and events.
- Opportunity to lead aspects of the sessions with support from the session leader
Specifically, we are looking for people with the following abilities:
- We are looking for volunteers that reflect the diversity of Lewisham and encourage applications from people who identify as belonging to Black and minority ethnic groups.
- Good communication skills
- Sensitivity and awareness of others
- Ability to work reliably and as part of a team
- Be willing to listen and learn from your experiences.
- Experience of working in a community organisation
- Experience of working with and meeting new people
- Criminal Record Bureau Check
- Support and training will be given
- Leadership and motivation skills
- Skills development in outdoor learning and environmental education
- News and updates about activities within the sector.
We offer short and long term volunteer placements and ask for a commitment of one session per week.
Sessions are currently held on Mondays (am & pm) and run from 9:00 – 12:30 & 13:00 – 15:00.
The De Frene Market Garden site, up track between houses 35 and 37 De Frene road, Sydenham, London,
How to Apply
Is this role for you? Complete our online Application and Equality & Diversity Monitoring form .
Or contact us if you have any questions:
Email email@example.com or telephone 020 8291 1650 or mob 07850 515 239