As a small community-based charity with a small staff team, we depend upon volunteers to deliver our services and run the charity. Volunteers made a huge impact in the early days of the garden site, where the site was cleared and redesigned and volunteers continue to play a crucial role in keeping the organisation running.
Key ways for volunteers to support the organisation are:
- As a Volunteer Support Worker. Volunteer Support Workers assist project staff with the delivery of therapeutic sessions for co-workers (service users). In addition to an interest in working with people with mental health problems or other significant illness, volunteers also bring skills in gardening or creative work.
- Supporting the delivery of our events. We hold fairs, open days and stalls, selling plants, crafts and refreshments. We very much rely on volunteers to help run and promote these events, which are a great opportunity for fundraising and to publicise our work. Get in touch if you would like to help us in this way.
- Supporting the transformation of our De Frene Road Site. During the spring and summer we hold monthly community volunteering days on Saturdays for people who want to get involved in some physical clearance and gardening activity. For more information see our events section.
- As a Trustee. Trustees are responsible for the strategic direction of the charity, meeting monthly to review progress towards our strategic aims. We are currently seeking a new Treasurer. To find out more, contact us on 020 8291 1650 or email@example.com.
- By holding events for us. We are lucky enough to have some wonderful volunteers who hold events for us, either in their own homes or they arrange these with groups they are involved with. For example, one volunteer holds a plant sale in her garden every year, with profits to Sydenham Garden. Another organises an annual concert with the choir they sing in. Another holds regular coffee mornings to raise funds for us. If you are able to help us in this way, we would be very grateful! Get in touch if you would like information about Sydenham Garden or a speaker for your event.
We are always interested in potential volunteers in the following areas:
1. To help provide support for one of our projects please click below for more detailed information on the role:
To apply for any of the above posts, please complete an application form,
Download the Volunteer Application Form, if you would rather return it to us by post or email. If you would like to phone for an informal chat before completing an application form, then please call us on: 020 8291 1650.
If you do not want to sign up as a regular volunteer, why not join us as a Friend of Sydenham Garden so that you hear about activities coming up.